Hard Decision

This is one of the hardest decisions that I have had to make for a long time.

The last couple of years, preparing for Dye Day has gotten harder and more expensive and has become more of a hardship than it needs to be.  This week, while washing out the dyepots for a friend to use for a class, I discovered that every one of them has a hole or a slit in it that causes it to leak.  They were all put into use at the same time and they are all failing at the same time due to the high heat of the fires they have been subjected to over the years.  This means an outlay to me of about $500 to replace them, which I simply cannot afford.

On top of this, dyes like cochineal, which everyone loves, has gone from about $50 per pound to nearly 5 times that, which makes it prohibitive to me to buy.  And other dyes that we all love are getting harder and harder to find due to conservation of the trees or plants in their country of origin, which I support.

In the beginning, I had people who volunteered with helping Scott and I set up Dye Day, but their lives have changed, and no one has come forward the past couple of years to help start fires, help fill the 15-18 pots or get them going.  Two years ago, I had to do this alone, and it was hard on me.  I was completely wiped by the end of the day and worthless the next day.  Even with Scott’s help, it is not easy.

Also, there are other factors involved that I am not prepared to discuss that has added to the decision to discontinue hosting the annual Dye Day Event effective this year.  I am sorry about this, and I have lost sleep agonizing over this decision, but I really have no choice. I took this event over believing I could continue it for many years to come, so, in a way, I feel like I am failing to uphold a tradition.

If there is someone who wants to continue this tradition here in the central Indiana area, I am more than willing to volunteer as a consultant.  If so, please contact me.

Please pass the word that Dye Day that was scheduled on Columbus Day in October in Pendleton, Indiana, has been cancelled.

5 Responses

  1. Cindie Says:

    Yes, a hard decision but it sounds like the right one for you. I’ve had to make several hard decisions that others are not thrilled with but I, also, wasn’t getting any help, labor or money wise. It’s a good thing, you’ll eventually have that sigh of relief for making the decision.

  2. Cindy in FL Says:

    Agree d, it is a hard decision but the right one for now. You will feel better now that you’ve said it; it’s the agonizing that keeps you all tied up! Hugs!

  3. Sandy O' Says:

    Don’t agonize! Just remember the really fun times and move on! Stress like that will get you down and and that the fun away from the rest of your life. BTW, whenever you need more rabbitbrush for your own personal dye session, just let me know!

  4. Sharon Says:

    I think the broken pots clearly signaled that it’s time to move on. You know that you put on a fabulous event and have the memories that will last you in years to come. Your decision is a responsible one. Anytime someone is left shouldering a load that used to have many shoulders, it’s time to reconsider.

  5. Leigh Says:

    Getting caught up on your blog posts. I hate to say it sounds like you made the right decision but I think you did. I would have come to the same conclusion after weighing out the options like you did. Who knows, maybe enough folks will miss it that someone else will pick it up!

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.